Nowadays, few bakeries in Jakarta sell macaroons. Do you know macaroons? Macaroon is unique and tasty pastry from France. Laduree patisserie is the one who found macaroon, and the best macaroon in the world is made by him, so that’s why Laduree Macaroon is very famous and expensive.
Macaroon is made from egg, sugar, ganache, and a little bit of magic, that’s what the one of the writer defined the materials to make Laduree macaroon.
About 15 thousands macaroons sold at Laduree every day. So, for the readers, if you curious about the taste of Macaroons, you can search in the internet to find bakeries which sell macaroons in Jakarta. I’m sure macaroon’s already available in here.
Before you start browsing in the internet, here’s the history of Laduree macaroons. They say word macaroon came from Italy, it takes from word maccherone means fine dough.
Orginally, macaroons is an amaretti biscuit but as time goes by, macaroons well-known with its recent form. In 1533, macaroon was brought from Italy to France by Queen Catherine de Medici also the chefs.
Then macaroons became popular in 1792, when two nuns ask for the protection in Nancy, France when France Revolution. They make macaroons and sold it to pay their lives. Pierre Desfontaines, grandchild from Louis Ernest Laduree the owner of Laduree the famous pastry café, who have an idea to pile up two macaroons with filling like chocolate or jam.
But, Pierre Hermes who had the accreditation for a macaroons art master, that already made variety of modern macaroon.
Making the Beauty and Tasty Macaroon with following Recipe
French macaroons made by egg white, sugar, and almond powder. So, if you want to make macaroon in your house, here’s the complete material that you have to prepare before make macaroon:
1. 200 g powdered sugar.
2. ¼ teaspoons of vanilla extract.
3. 180 g almond powdered.
4. 3 egg whites.
5. 30 g granulated sugar.
6. Food coloring.
For the filling:
- 4 white eggs.
- 180 g unsalted butter (melt it)
- 150 g granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extracts.
- Food coloring.
Now, these are the steps of making macaroon:
- Heat the oven for 150c temperature. Sift powdered sugar and almond flour, set aside.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper then make a circles diameter of 5 cm.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer until fluffy, and then add the salt.
- Add sugar gradually with a teaspoon, until egg whites getting fluffy well. Move it to large bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and almond mixture slowly before the egg whites into the mixture, stirring with a spatula.
- Add vanilla and the rest of powdered sugar and almond mixture, stir well with a spatula. Avoid foam that was formed. Add food coloring if you want.
- Put the mixture in a bag, make holes at the peak. Form the dough in the pan according to the size of the circle that has been made. Bake in oven until dry underneath.
- Make filling with whipped egg whites and sugar until fluffy enough. Add melted butter while continuing to shake, and then add vanilla. Add food coloring if you want. Beat at low speed to eliminate air bubbles. Stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Give macaroon the filling such as jam. Make it like a sandwich model. Store it in an airtight container.
Voila! Your home made macaroon is perfectly done! You need to practice more to get a better form of macaroon.